Tuesday, December 30, 2008

I'm awesome ...

... because I finished "Prime" rewrites tonight. In your face, procrastination!

Honestly, I don't know what I'd do without Last Call rehearsals at my house. When Matt has Mike and Aaron over and they're rehearsing in my living room, Cotton and I get banished to the upstairs, where I have nothing to do but sit at the computer (while she lies on the floor and chews on her blanket). Every night Last Call is here, I get a ton of work done. Hooray!

Things will start rolling after the first of the year. My "Prime" planning meeting with Justin and Jenna is on Sunday. Soon after that, I imagine Lisa will start "Unethical" rehearsals. Jenna's looking to hold "Prime" auditions the week of Jan. 20, with a first read-through tentatively scheduled for Jan. 27. Very exciting! Plus, we got a new digital camera for Chanukah/Christmas, so I'm going to photograph the shit out of rehearsals and builds for both plays - and hopefully post it all here.

Random observation: While working on "Prime" tonight I realized that Dr. Matt's unhappy wife (who is mentioned in the play but never seen) is named Jenna. I named the character a good year before I ever met Jenna Messina and nearly seven years before she became this current production's director. It's just weird that a real Jenna is now involved with my script that has a character Jenna. But no weirder than the fact that the Little Box production last year had Stuart Hoffman in the cast, but not playing the Stuart character. And no weirder than the fact that I named a character in my most beloved play Matt, and then a year later met my future husband Matt, who at one point played a part (oddly enough, not the part of Matt) in a reading of an earlier draft. Strange coincidences.

And in case you're wondering ... Matt's last name in the show, Warner, is after Warner Brothers. Stuart McFarlane's last name is not after Seth McFarlane (I hate "Family Guy"), but after graphic novel and action figure creator icon Todd McFarlane. Jeremy and Kevin originally had comic or cartoon related last names as well (I think one was Hanna, actually), but I changed Kevin's last name to Kellerman for better rhythm and to start with a K, because I imagined he and Steph met in homeroom. (Plus, it's a name from "Homicide.") Jeremy's last name is never said in the script.


3 comments:

pengo said...

How can you hate "Family Guy"? Aren't you surrounded by people who LOVE "Family Guy"?

Margi Herwald Zitelli said...

I am surrounded by people who love and quote Family Guy endlessly. It's a struggle.

pengo said...

You have my eternal sympathy.