Friday, November 14, 2008

Welcome to my blog

2009 is going to be a big year for me in terms of theater. Two of my original scripts - "Unethical" and "Optimus Prime for President" - are being produced in February and March. I thought I should chronicle my experiences bringing these two pieces from page to stage. Hopefully, someone out there will want to read this ... other than my husband (who will forget to check in for updates) and my mother (who likely won't be able to navigate her way to this url). 

UNETHICAL
My newest play will run Feb. 20-22 at Cleveland Public Theatre's James Levin Theatre as part of the Big[BOX] series of new works. Here is the brief description of the play I will be sending Mindy Herman to use in CPT's publicity: 

You can't live without this paycheck, so just keep your head down and get through the workday. But when The Company institutes a new Corporate Policy of Employee Ethics and Standards of Conduct, four co-workers suddenly find themselves at the center of office controversy. Following the strict policy means giving up your personal expression, but the consequences of breaking it could be severe. And office mates will find their relationships tested in ways they never imagined.

So yeah, it's a comedy. Sort of.

OPTIMUS PRIME FOR PRESIDENT
I started writing "Prime" years ago when I was recovering from surgery to remove a cancerous tumor from my neck. I kept putting it aside and coming back to it, and over the years, the characters and stories evolved. It was performed (excellently) as a staged reading at last year's Little Box new plays series at CPT. Now it will be produced by Fourth Wall Productions March 20-April 4 at the Enterprise Center Building on E. 105th. Here's the description of that show:

On a summer night following a baseball game, six friends meet in their favorite bar for their usual night together. However, this night something is different. From unresolved feelings to longstanding resentments to a devastating secret, they all have something important to say to each other. But sometimes the truth is too hard to admit, and it's easier to talk about cartoons.

Also a comedy. Mostly.

Check back to find out how casting goes for "Unethical" and to help me slog through "final" rewrites of both plays!



1 comment:

BenZ said...

Yay! Looking foward to seeing them.