Friday, November 21, 2008

Hooray!

I think I'm done with "Unethical" rewrites! I plowed through the script reading passages aloud to the dog last night while Matt and the Last Call boys were downstairs in my living room practicing their new song "I'm A Douchebag" and dancing to Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out For A Hero." (Our lives aren't like other peoples.)

In retrospect, however, I'm concerned that I didn't actually change that much. I added just a little more to Tracey's first confrontation with Reed, making her more arrogant and less professional and making him meaner in response. Plus, now Barry walks in and observes some of the tension, which may be hokey. We'll see. I also trimmed and honed Nora and Zach's opening scene and did general sprucing up of rough patches of dialogue. But I didn't do anything new with Zach like I thought I would. There was nowhere else to put him, nothing else I felt compelled to make him say. It occurred to me that his growing distance from Nora over the course of the play is probably illustrated better by his absence and failure to return her calls than him coming in and having awkward conversations with her.

I'll reread this weekend to make sure, save that Final Draft doc as a PDF, and send it off to Lisa to distribute to actors. Hooray. It feels good to be done(ish). At least with this part.

No comments: