Wednesday, February 25, 2009

My first OP4P rehearsal

I'm still coming down from the excessive praise people are heaping on me over UnE. I can't believe people liked it so much. It's awesome.

Last night was my first OP4P rehearsal. Not theirs. They've been at it two weeks already while I've been off Unethicalling. It has created this kind of surreal disconnect. Prime is (so far) the script that means the most to me of anything I've ever written. It's very personal to me and several of the characters are stand-ins for me at different points in my life. But, because I've been so focused on my other show and I missed the initial read-through and a ton of rehearsals, I felt kind of like a stranger walking in last night. A feeling only intensified by the fact that I didn't even know when they started rehearsals because no one sent me a final schedule until yesterday. It's weird for me. I mean, in real life, most playwrights never or rarely show up to rehearsals of their work. And really, they're not supposed to be too involved. It's the director's play at this point, not the writer's. But as I am not a nationally published or performed playwright and have to date been integrally involved in the rehearsals of all my work, it's an adjustment.

Of course, if I'm honest with myself, I really don't want to be there everyday like I was for UnE or for past readings of my stuff. This is a longer, more involved rehearsal process, and I'm sure Jenna has it well in hand. I have enough faith in the script and the cast (many of whom are OP4P alumni and good friends anyway) to trust it will all turn out fine. Plus, I'm really freaking tired! It's just difficult to let go and take the appropriate step back. It's like my firstborn kid, you know?

Anyway, the cast seemed to be in a relatively good rhythm despite the fact that Stuart (who plays Matt) is out of town and the sm was reading in for him. The cadences, intentions, and attitudes all felt really natural and comfortable. This play, more than anything else I've ever written, needs to feel natural and conversational, and they definitely get that.

The other cool thing is that the actor originally cast as Stuey dropped out, so Jenna replaced him with Nate who played Reed in Unethical. How cool is that? I never saw the other guy work, I'm sure he was fine, but I'm happy to have someone I know and trust picking up the role mid-process. Stuey's got to be kind of loud and zany, and Nate just jumped right in and found the rhythm easily last night. He had no fear about just getting up and dancing to SexyBack and giving Josh a lap dance, which is a necessity for Stuey.

I won't be back at OP4P rehearsals til March 5 - I'm only missing two rehearsals during which a couple actors will be absent. I can't wait to see the whole ensemble together and in rhythm. I have high hopes for this one. All the elements are there so far for it to be a sharp, tight show. Now, I just have to take a step back and wait and see.

P.S. I mentioned this before, but ... I thoroughly encourage all interested parties to listen to the album "Everything in Transit" by Jack's Mannequin. It was my soundtrack for writing recent drafts of OP4P. It feels like the songs were written for these characters.

No comments: