Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Weekend two is done

We are down to our last two performances of OP4P - Friday, April 4, and Saturday, April 5. Come see it if you haven't yet.

I've been concerned about lack of advertising leading to small crowds. I didn't go to the show this past Fri.-Sun., but I hear crowds were OK, still on the small side. I'm told Saturday had amazing energy in the first half and then became a tear-stained emotion fest at the end. After all that burned off, I'm told Sunday was an off night. It happens. Kind of wish I'd seen the super-charged Saturday show.

However, I did attend last night's special free beer Monday night show. Since most theaters are dark on Monday (stemming from an Equity rule), the idea is to have a night open to working actors who otherwise wouldn't be able to come. It was a surprisingly good-sized crowd, and a receptive crowd. It was fun for me to see the show again after a week off. It's definitely gotten looser over time. That's not to say that it's sloppy (well, a few parts were on Monday), but it feels very natural and almost like improv at this point, which is good. It should feel like that, because that's how real conversations are. Also, the spilled beer moment was the grandest it's ever been, with the beer bottle actually flying halfway across the stage and hitting the wall. I always like when the audience thinks it's a legitimate accident at first.

The cool thing is ... we got reviewed! I didn't think any reviewers were coming to our small venue, but we did get one, and the review was absolutely glowing. Read it here. You might have to scroll down a bit.

My hope for the actors is that this review pumps up the crowds for the last weekend. Their good work deserves to be seen. They deserve to go out with a bang.

1 comment:

pengo said...

"I've been concerned about lack of advertising leading to small crowds."

You are too fucking polite.