Monday, March 23, 2009

Open for business

Prime opened on Friday night. I attended both Friday and Saturday's performances, but skipped the Sunday show in favor of walking the dog then collapsing in the absolute and utterly pathetic fatigue that comes from pregnancy.

Did I mention I announced to the world that I'm pregnant after the opening? More on that later.

Both Fri. and Sat.'s shows were very well performed, but sparsely attended. Which I assume is a function of not a ton of advertising. Which is a little frustrating because the cast is doing such a phenomenal job, I want people to see them. The comments I got after the show were mostly variations on this: "I thought it was just going to be funny. I didn't know it was going to be so sad."

But I also heard many really insightful comments about the development of the characters, the flow of the dialogue, and the architecture of the whole play that showed me people were really engaged and paying very close attention. And pretty much all of those comments were positive, which of course made me happy.

I has great fun buying Transformers comic books for the cast before opening night, too. Apparently, Sarah's comic, titled "Game over, Optimus Prime," is one of the most popular.

And then I told everyone I was all knocked up. About 12 weeks along, due October 8. Kelly cried a little, Marian was emotional, and both offered to knit things. Sarah actually said that while most babies disgust her, she is certain ours will not look like an alien, which is high praise. When Josh complained that the guys in the bar were referred to as "boys," Matt reminded him that we now all have proof he's a man.

The next night Jay gave us a card saying our news made him so happy, he was even inclined to like the French, a group he usually abhors with fiery passion. So that's a big deal!

1 comment:

pengo said...

Gives "open for business" a whole new meaning, doesn't it?