Wednesday, March 11, 2009

OP4P rehearsal: Smurfy?

I forgot to write a blog post on Tuesday about Monday's rehearsal because I was all busy and tired and cranky. Forgive me.

Anyway - real quick because I've got to get to tonight's rehearsal - Monday was off-book with line calling working the first several sections of the show: the opening discussion/ Sierra's entrance/ beer spilling, Matt's monologue, the start of the presidential debate/ Kevin offends everyone, and ending at the beginning of Jeremy's monologue.

It's very encouraging to see how natural everyone is. I've said it before, but if the dialogue isn't conversational, the whole play doesn't work. There was so much natural humor in the presidential debate section. Great moments of improv with Josh burping in Sarah's face and Shawn blowing into his empty beer bottle. When Steph announces her idea of Optimus Prime for president, since it is the title after all, it has to stand out. I really enjoyed what Aubrey and the boys did with it. They had, at this point, totally isolated Sarah on stage right as punishment for her character (Sierra)'s blatant faux pas of daring to bring up the Smurfs. They were in their own world, their own element, talking in a way that made you feel like this group of friends always talks this way, and then she confidently dropped the bomb on them, knowing her idea was best. It really worked.

I really haven't gotten to see anyone do their monologues yet, except for Stuart doing Matt's monologue once on Monday. I'd really like to see them. Maybe tonight depending on what Jenna's got planned. I know she wants to start by taking some pictures of us all, so I better get moving. More soon ...

No comments: